Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Workout Grind Time Android Apps

Should you work out? I mean I hear it's "recommended," and "you'll live longer" but come on who's got the time. Here' some apps that will hopefully help you get motivated to lose some weight or at least stay healthier than a college student who only eats pizza and drinks beer.




 

Today's post is all for those people (including myself) who have the New Year's resolution to lose weight or to get in shape. Below are some of the apps I have been using for the last few weeks that I have found helpful. Check it out!

1. C25K
Just keep running, just keep running, running, running. If you're like me you ask yourself every time you put on your shoes...why am I doing this? Oh, right, it's "healthy" or something. C25K is an 8 week running program that starts you from your "couch" and slowly progresses you to a 5K (3.1 miles).

It requires you to run/walk for 30 minutes a day 3 days a week. The first few weeks start you off with walking 1-2 minutes and running 1-2 minutes. It's nice especially for beginners. however, I found I could do the first 3 weeks well but when I hit the 4th week it progressed quickly. I had to do the 4th week a couple times and the 3rd day of the 5th week I'm finding quite challenging (run 20 minutes straight). Face it, unless you're one of those weird people who like running, it still sucks.


2. Noom Coach
Work it gurrl. For a lot of people it's about losing the weight for a one time occasion instead of habit forming. Noom Coach does a great job of teaching you lifelong habits It has a wide range of features including: pedometer and calorie/food tracker. Along with these features the app gives you tips on how to eat healthier and ways to get fitter. Another feature that goes along with the calorie tracker is it tells you how many "green" calories you are consuming or what are considered "healthy" foods. I dislike vegetables, I think anything green is poison and it's all just a test to see how gullible humans are. Needless to say my "green" score is around 0.



3. Nike Training Club (NTC)
The gym. Sweaty, smelly, and for me, intimidating. NTC gives you a nice workout at home. I wish it involved sitting and watching Netflix, but you can only ask for so much.

It's great for any fitness level but it still offers a challenge for everyone. There are four areas that you can choose from: get lean, get toned, get strong, get focused. After you select one of those you then choose your fitness level based on the number of times you exercise a week: beginner, intermediate, or expert. Most the workouts are 30-45 minutes using your body weight and very little equipment. It may include dumbbells or medicine balls, but as a college student with a limited budget I opt out of that. It    is    exhausting.



4. 7 Minute
You have 7 minutes! Somehow, I can find 1000 excuses why not to do a 7 minute workout. The 7 Minute app is designed to get you in shape in just a few minutes. It works well, and you need to be prepared to sweat.

When I first started using the app I would usually do one circuit (7 minutes, 13 exercises) after my regular exercise since it is said to boost your metabolism. Now I try to do 2 circuits when I wake up in the morning to wake me up a little more. There are 2 versions classic or abs, I haven't had the abs version yet. For the classic version you will need a chair for a couple of the exercises, the others are similar to jumping jacks, wall sit, plank, etc.














If you have any questions about the fitness/health apps I've tried let me know and I'd be happy to answer them!




5 comments:

  1. These apps are great! I also use the Nike + app which tracks a lot of different variables

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got that one a couple weeks ago but haven't had the chance to use it yet.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. What better day to launch our new website for cy19mis546!
    Check out our website: http://analyticsgroup101.com/cy19mis546.html Khashayar Afshar Kishor Kumar Sridhar cy19mis546 CyBA-2019 :: group6 Afskar Sridhar

    ReplyDelete