Friday, January 23, 2015

Best Free Apps I Use Everyday

Our smartphones are attached to our hips anymore. We take them everywhere because they offer such a variety of things for us to do. We can talk to our friends, fill our time, and even catch up on the events of the day. These apps are my favorite apps that I find helpful in my everyday college life. 

In today's society we are all completely encased in our smartphones. The main function of my phone is for all of it applications. I use my phone for texting and actual communication probably around 15% of the time. The rest of the time? Looking at social media, writing notes about things I need to get done, checking email, and of course playing the latest games. Today I'm going to share with you the apps I use everyday. They may not be the best apps but they are the most important ones for me on my phone.

1. Snapchat
Admit it...you make stupid faces too when sending a snap to your bestie. It will only last for 10 seconds anyway (unless they're a b***** and take a screen shot). Most of us use or have at least heard of Snapchat, but if you haven't it's an app that allows you to take a picture and send it to a friend or multiple. The catch is that they will only be able to see it for a maximum of 10 seconds. I use Snapchat as a basic line of communication. I use it even more than I text. Snapchat is a way to have a conversation with facial expressions, cause leaving the house is just to damn difficult somedays.



2. Flipboard
"Isn't it terrible what happened at that one place a couple days ago?" - colleague says while you frantically google what the hell happened.  Mornings usually work like get up, throw on the least smelling clothes I can find, run a comb through my hair if I feel like it. 
I like Flipboard to help me get caught up on what's happened the last few days. Flipboard allows you to "flip" through articles so you don't have that look on your face next time someone mentions an important current event. You can follow different people or topics or search for a certain article. If you find an article you find particularly interesting you can "like" it or save it for later.


3. Shazam
My friends can all confirm that unless I listen to a song 100x I can't remember lyrics to save my life. Shazam got me covered. It's nice that I don't have to remember lyrics and put them into Google later. It does pretty well with background noise, I can use it in stores or the car, but obviously there can't be yelling or anything. Once you "Shazam" a few songs it will create better recommendations for you, that's how I find quite a bit of my music. It will also remember your earlier Shazam's so if you forget to download it off of Itunes, don't worry you can go back and look.

4. 2F1B (2 Fingers 1 Brain)
2 fingers 1 brain. Got them? Good! Your fingers are very important, and you should have no difficulties with this game. One of my favorite games that a friend discovered (Thanks Ashlin!). It splits the screen in half and you play two, simple, different, games with a finger. Some require a little thinking while others are simple skill games. For example one side might ask you to put 4 letters in alphabetical order while your other finger has to collect 10 balls in a basket. As you continue through the game the time you have to complete each game gets shorter and shorter. Once you run out of 3 lives you lose.

5. Lose it 
I really like this app because it gives you a daily allowance for the number of calories you can have and tracks the number of calories you consume each day and subtracts for the amount of exercise you do.

As you go through the day you log each item you eat, many of which can be found in their database. If the item you eat isn't in the database, you can scan the barcode and enter the servings you had. It definitely helps you realize how much sugar you're consuming when you have 4 Mountain Dews to pull an all-nighter. If you do drink all that Dew in a day don't worry we all have been there. It will track your total calories for the week so you'll just have to make up for it another day. 

The one thing I dislike about it is sometimes the servings are really hard to calculate. For example it will ask how many ounces or grams of something I've eaten...I don't know what 4 ounces of pasta is?! Please, I just dump the box in and hope for the best. 

6. The Weather Channel
What's the weather in Iowa in March? Well, let's see on Wednesday it's a high of -2 with wind-chill of -20. Tuesday 20 with 12" of snow. Thursday 60 degrees and sunny, and oooh look on Friday 90 and possible tornados. Maybe it's not quite that bad but, it's still good to have some sense of what to wear for the day.

The Weather Channel App has a great layout. The first thing it shows you is what the current temperature is outside and what the high and low for the day is. If you scroll down a little you'll find what it actually feels like outside. The 10-day forecast isn't always super accurate, especially 10 days away, but it gives a general idea of what's happening. After all the weather reporting it gives you airport conditions and whether or not to expect delays, along with a regional flu report and the amount of pollen. 


Hope you found my thoughts a little helpful at least. Let me know what apps you use daily, I always love finding new ones and replacing them with better apps. If you like what you see look again in a few days I'll have a list of my favorite Game Apps

No comments:

Post a Comment